Today J-Pan is answering some of our questions. Get to know this cat of few words better, then head over to DeviantArt and check out the comics!
1. Who are you?
J-Pan da Coolgah
2. Where are you from?
East coast version of California
3. Introvert or extrovert?
Introvert as fugg.
4. Pets. Do you have or would you like any?
5. What are you currently working on?
Fighting game sprite comic called Fightin Games.
6. What do you call your work and why?
7. You have three to five words to convince me to read your work. What are they? (Bonus points if you can do it in fewer.*)
Great topical fighting game jokes.
*Bonus points determine the winner in the event of a Double KO.
8. Are you working with anyone else on the above project?
9. Do you have any formal art or writing education?
Went to college for Graphic Design. Learned from several comic artists.
10. Have you had any education that has unexpectedly proved useful in your work?
Graphic Design has been a great help.
11. What do you feel you still need to learn?
Confidence in self. Letting go of perfectionism. BACKGROUNDS. [Editor: Oof. Those first two are a challenge. ]
12. What have you done to educate yourself about art, writing, comics, or life?
13. What genres do you most enjoy when consuming entertainment?
Comedy. Shonen anime.
14. What genre/s does your current work fall into?
15. Why did you choose that genre for your project?
I like funny fight comics and I wanted to make one.
16. What creators, comic or otherwise, do you draw inspiration from?
Maximillian Dood, Psyguy(Before everything went downhill), Shadow Draygon
17. What tools do you use when making your comic?
Photoshop CS2, Clip Studio Paint.
18. Do you listen to music at any point in your creative process? What kind and why?
A lot of J-Rock and Metal. I like the Guitar.
19. What is your favorite part of your comic?
Searching through sprites to use for the comic.
20. What do you feel your strengths are as an artist?
Faces. Dynamic poses.
21. What do you want people to get from your work?
22. How do you decompress when you need a break?
Take a walk away from the computer or pencil. Stretch. [Walking away from the computer every so often is a great habit.]
23. How do you define success for yourself? What is your goal?
People enjoying my work and understanding where I’m coming from.
24. What is your favorite dynamic between two or more characters in your story? Describe it briefly.
The verbal one ups manship between characters. [Always a fun interaction to have.]
25. Why does the above dynamic appeal to you?
Dialogue between fights feels funny to get engaged to instead of just silent punching.
26. Who do you think your audience is in no more than ten words?
Fighting Game Fans.
27. What, if anything, would you like to get from the/a comics community?
My comic read.
28. You can hire anyone in the world to create an original soundtrack for your project. Who do you pick and why?
HYDE. Cause I like his music.
29. Early bird or night owl. Why?
Early bird. cause I have an alarm at times. Also I’m getting old. [Ouch. Relatable on the old part.]
30. Pick a card. Any card.
Trap card. Cause YOU’VE TRIGGERED MY TRAP CARD! (OH NO!)
31. What is your favorite video game?
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.
32. Do you have any hobbies that have worked their way into your comic?
33. If you were going to recommend one comic aside from your own for us to read, what would it be and why?
Sacrimony. Cause I am a shill.
34. Where can we find your work?
35. Do you have a Patreon, Ko-fi, or any other page you would like to point people to?